These projects were completed as part of my coursework in Publication Design. The final products are two booklets. The first is 16 page annual report for a non-profit organization. The second is a half letter sized cookbook.
Scratch Board Illustrations
This project started as a skill building exercise in Photoshop, but I found that I really liked the technique so I expanded it and explored different ways that these illustrations could be used. The result was a throwback to my childhood when (through a monthly subscription) I would be sent a packet of cards with fascinating images on the front and information about natural sciences on the back. I always looked forward to receiving these cards and even had fun organizing them (alpabetically and by category). I wanted produce work that was equally as approachable and informative, but with a more updated look and feel.
This project uses type as the key decorative element in a student lounge environment.
The inspiration for this self initiated piece came from two sources, the first being a book of quotes given to me as a gift, the second being my desire to try my hand at designing an app. I imaged the functionality of the app since that is the most important part of any program. It includes a sidebar navigation menu and a dropdown menu along with a search bar. The background images are my own photography and I designed the vector icons.
In designing these craft beer labels, I wanted them to stand out from their illustrated or pictorial counterparts, so I decided to used type as the chief design agent. This gave me an opportunity to have fun and be playful.
For this redesign, my first goal was to take elements from the origianl mark and repurpose them, but it was difficult since the original logo didn't speak to the purpose of the business very well. I was able however, to take the crescent moon shape (which is obscure in the original mark) and highlight it to form the word moon in my logo. The new mark is much cleaner and more inviting.
This shows the brainstorming technique I used to begin the process of redesigning the old logo, which is seen in the center of the mindmap.
Using fontstruct, I created a typeface modeled after an embroidery stitch called cross stitch. I then used my typeface to create a book cover for a manual teaching people the basics of embroidery.